“The Adoption Preparation Groups particularly stood out for us. The trainers were amazing, especially with the sensitive handling of issues such as abuse, and despite being a bit dubious about doing the training at first, me and my wife felt supported and informed, and we loved the whole experience”.An SFCS adopter
As a Registered Voluntary Adoption agency, St. Francis’ Children’s Society aims to deliver a comprehensive range of high quality professional services, both pre- and post- adoption to families and children.
The Society’s main focus is on providing secure and sustainable adoptive placements for vulnerable children through the Adoption Connections service. It also provides counselling and support as appropriate through the Birth Connections and Building Connections services to those whose lives have been affected by adoption or other permanent placements.
Our full Statement of Purpose can be found at the bottom of this page.
1. The Society aims to provide a personal, effective and flexible service to everyone affected by adoption – before, during and after placement.
2. The Society acknowledges that adoption is a life-long evolving process for all those involved and therefore adopted people should have access to information and services to help them deal with adoption related matters.
3. The Society believes that the child’s welfare, safety and needs are at the centre of the adoption process and therefore the focus is on permanency and creating a stable family life.
4. The Society believes in a holistic approach and supports working in partnership with other agencies and Local Authorities to achieve the best outcomes for children and their families and everyone affected by adoption.
5. The Society firmly believes that children have the right to grow up as part of a loving family.
6. The Society aims to always be non-judgmental, diverse and inclusive in its practice.
7. The Society supports workforce development and provides staff members with suitable opportunities for development of skills and responsibilities.
Our Statement of Purpose
This document sets out, in detail, the Statement of Purpose of the adoption service of St. Francis’ Children’s Society, as required by the Voluntary Adoption Agencies and the Adoption Agencies (Miscellaneous Amendments) Regulations Si 2003/367 and the Voluntary Adoption Agencies (Amendments Regulations SI 2005/3341). It is updated annually by us and is approved by our Council of Trustees.
We can arrange for the document to be translated, explained or produced in a different format to suit the needs of staff, service users or volunteers. Click here to read our 2016 Statement of Purpose in full.