< Back to News

Pupil Premium for adopted children

August 25, 2021

As children and families prepare for a new school year, we’d like to take this opportunity to remind our adopters that they can claim the Pupil Premium allowance for their school-age children.

Children in state-funded education in England who were adopted from care in England and Wales, or who left care under a Special Guardianship Order or Child Arrangements Order / Residence Order are eligible to attract the Pupil Premium. This includes children in alternative provision (such as an independent school or educated at home) where the place or provision is funded by the local authority.

Adopted children (and other post-looked after children) attract the Pupil Premium because many will have suffered trauma and abuse in their early years and the emotional impact of this may act as a barrier to their progress at school.

The Pupil Premium gives schools and other providers of education extra funding to provide additional support where necessary to raise the attainment of disadvantaged pupils. It is paid to schools and other providers of education for eligible children in Reception Year through to Year 11.  Parenting website The School Run offers a good introduction to how Pupil Premium works, and the First4Adoption website explains how the additional support can benefit adopted children.

To enable your child’s school to claim the Pupil Premium, you will need to inform the school about your child and provide supporting evidence, for example, show the school the original Adoption (Court) Order.

You will need to self-declare before Thursday 7th October 2021, the date when all schools will complete their Autumn School Census.

If you informed the school of your child’s adopted status for the October 2020 School Census, it shouldn’t be necessary to provide evidence again. It would be advisable, however, to double check with your school before the deadline. If your child has moved schools, you will be required to provide evidence again as information is not transferable from one school to another.

We hope you will all take advantage of this additional benefit for your children.  If you need any help or support with this, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Share this!

4 responses to “Pupil Premium for adopted children”

  1. Katie Roy says:

    Can I claim for a school age child who is being held back in nursery

    • Vicky Hunt says:

      Hello, thanks for the query.
      As Pupil Premium is claimed by schools on behalf of the children, we suspect that the answer is no, unfortunately. But it is definitely worth having a conversation with your child’s nursery, to see if any sort of additional support is available in that setting. If you think we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact the office. Thanks again for your query.

  2. Celia Grace says:

    My 15 year old adopted daughte ris still on her school role but has not attended for a year. She is being home schooled at Wirral’s Home Learning base. I would like to know if her Pupil Premium can be paid to us as a direct payment because she is not benefiting form this funding in any way.

    • Vicky Hunt says:

      Hello, thanks for your comment. Pupil Premium is usually claimed by schools on the pupil’s behalf, so unfortunately, we’re not sure that your daughter would qualify. However, if Wirral’s Home Learning Base is a local authority service, it is definitely worth talking to them – they may be able to claim it on your daughter’s behalf as a mainstream school would do. Thanks again for your query.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

< Back to News